Monday, February 8, 2010

A Sonnet

I was sitting in Kim Napolitano's AP English class this morning, and was thinking about sonnets. She had her students write them for homework, as they're reading Macbeth. So as I sat listening to the students read aloud, I began to write. This is the fruit of my labors.


Un-Finding God
A Sonnet

This pond'ring mind is wond'ring, What Is God?
A being omniscient, all powerful,
And wondrous, too, is he. Where he hath trod,
Supposedly, bloom flowers sweet and full.
Yet still I'm wond'ring, doth h'exist at all?
He seems quite contradict'ry, 'tis not peace
He wants to bring. 'Tis Love his preachings call,
Yet with fiery swords he threatens, and seeds
Of discord he spreads. Neighbors 'gainst their friends,
And mother 'gainst child pits he. Sayest he,
"Me thou canst follow, lest thou hateth i'the end."
This seems quite awful and vicious to me,
And now my belief I find firm, secure.
In denouncing this 'god,' I've found my cure.



I'd like to point out briefly that sonnets are not my forte, as I'm sure you can tell. Also, as far as syllabic structure goes, each line is in iambic pentameter (10 syllables). One must read the words with apostrophes as having one less syllable, seeing as how the vowel is removed. Also, several words are slurred together so as to make them one syllable. And if there are those who think this is cheating, I learned the technique from the greatest of all--William Shakespeare. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment